The Fountain House, built in 1668 and used as Richmond’s first courthouse, stood across from The Black Horse Tavern during the American Revolution. Generals Percy and Carleton, along with Captain Montresor (a British Military engineer) often stopped here. A flirtatious young Loyalist, Margaret Moncrieffe resided here with her father, Major Thomas Moncrieffe in the summer of 1776. She was introduced to General Howe and his staff, and was frequently seen cavorting with the best men on the General’s staff. Sheeventually married Captain John Coughlen. It was demolished in 1937.
One of Montresor’s maps of Lower Manhattan during the Revolution.